In all my years working in IT, I’ve found there’s at least one undeniable truth about this industry: software developers are scarce. What’s more, talented software developers are incredibly scarce. They are the main ingredient in building high-quality software products—which is exactly what everyone is looking for in the age of Coronavirus.
Is there a way to solve this talent scarcity problem? Well, in my honest opinion, it is just a matter of time before it resolves itself. The world is becoming more and more tech-driven by the second, and the job market for software engineers will eventually regulate itself. However, most companies can’t wait for that, especially in times as critical as these. Knowing how much time and resources are required to build a capable in-house software development team, outsourcing IT services stands out as the most viable solution for many.
Are Talent Developers 100% Necessary to Create Successful Software Products?
I feel like this is a question many business leaders have. To put it simply: no, talented developers are not 100% necessary to create successful software products. However, this is true in the same way that talented cooks aren’t 100% necessary to make a delicious meal. Perseverance, creativity, and luck can take you a long way, and there are many real-life cases that prove it.
But when it comes to developing high-quality software for business purposes, reducing risks is a priority. For most organizations, it’s not worth it to take a leap of faith with the software developers they have access to. I believe everyone would take a talented software development team with a proven track record of consistent high-quality work over anything else.
That’s why IT outsourcing is such a big deal for businesses today. By outsourcing IT services, any organization can get immediate access to the best developers in the region and seamlessly implement their talent into their projects. This allows the company to shift its focus towards its core competencies while obtaining otherwise unavailable resources.
So, while talented developers aren’t 100% necessary to create the next big thing, they are still a certain way to maximize the quality of your final product while avoiding the inherent risks of software development.
How Software Outsourcing Companies Solve the Talent Scarcity Problem
Talent is great and all, but there still is the scarcity problem to address if you are to leverage that talent. Businesses from every industry have a need for software development talent, and it’s the job of IT outsourcing companies to help them overcome this challenge. The fact is that the best IT outsourcing vendors use remote methodologies to solve the talent scarcity problem.
You see, the best software developers are not located in one single city, nor one single country. They are spread around the world. Talent pools at a local level are just not comparable to what can be found in an international framework. That’s why at BairesDev, for example, we have opted for a distributed Dev Center approach.
A Dev Center is the “hub” with dedicated facilities in which a dedicated technology team can work in the same time zones as our clients. We have built numerous Dev Centers across Latin America to group together as much developer talent as possible. This way, any company anywhere in the world can take advantage of the technical know-how, favorable cost, cultural fit, and faster team staffing of Latin America.
Why 2020 is a Great Year to Outsource Development
In 2020, Software Outsourcing is as relevant as it has ever been. Following the huge demand increase for digital services due to the coronavirus pandemic, we’re seeing millions of organizations struggling to accelerate their digital transformations. While it’s possible to do so by forming an in-house team from scratch, most businesses can’t afford the time and resources required to do so.
Recapitulating the points I made previously, I’d say software outsourcing in 2020 is a great idea for 5 main reasons:
- Access to Top IT Talent: I said it before and I’ll say it again: IT talent is the most valuable resource for the development of successful software products. Software development companies will find the best software developers in the region and implement their expertise in your project. This way, you won’t have to worry about sourcing, hiring, and retaining talented developers.
- Optimized Workloads: If your company isn’t used to developing software in-house, you’d be amazed at how much the average workload increases. Without the proper talent on board, you would just run into speed bumps time and time again. Outsourcing takes this weight off your shoulders so you can focus your company’s time and resources on your core business.
- Industry Expertise: No matter the industry, we all know there is no substitute for years of expertise and industry know-how. Software development companies don’t just know the ins and outs of the IT industry itself—they have also hired senior developers who have mastered most, if not all, the software technologies available today.
- Minimal Risks: Risk is always a huge factor when developing software on your own. Working with custom-built development teams of talented developers immediately brings this value as close to zero as possible. They will always apply the best and latest practices to your project, guaranteeing project flexibility, and workflow efficiency.
- Faster Launch Times: Getting out to the market at the right time can be the difference between success and failure. Companies that rush development to increase their launch times often compromise the quality of its product or the value offered to its customers. An outsourced tech-team would create the right custom-solutions for your business and assemble a detailed roadmap to successful market launch.
Is it the Right Time to Outsource for your Company?
The whole idea behind the best software development companies is to provide their clients with custom solutions designed by the very best IT talent. This way, any business can bypass the odyssey of sourcing, hiring, and retaining great software developers. In other words, they get immediate access to a full development team with the right expertise, resources, time, and, most importantly, talent.
Having said that, there is no “right time” to outsource development. It depends hugely on the current challenges you are facing and the goals you want to achieve. However, you can always contact a consulting expert to help you through your digital transformation journey.