Microsoft’s .NET development framework is a flexible platform that can be used to build many types of applications, such as CRM systems, inventory applications, mobile apps, and websites. Such software can boost your company to the next level of sales, cost reduction, efficiency, convenience, and much more.
If you’re considering developing any of these projects, the next question is whether you have someone on your team with the skills to do it. Even if you do, you might want to augment your team to ensure the needed strength to complete development projects effectively. If you find that you do lack those resources or need to supplement them, consider hiring an outsourced .NET development services provider.
What Is .NET?
The .NET (pronounced “dot net”) framework allows developers to build apps across many operating systems and programming languages. According to Microsoft, it was designed to “provide a consistent object-oriented programming environment whether object code is stored and executed locally, executed locally but web-distributed, or executed remotely.”
Additionally, .NET minimizes software deployment and versioning conflicts, promotes safe execution of code, eliminates performance problems, and ensures that code based on the framework integrates with other code. The following video provides additional information about .NET:
When Do You Need .NET Development?
The .NET framework makes application development simpler with programming building blocks that can be used by any developer for a variety of projects. Known as the object-oriented approach, this model delivers small pieces of code that are easy to integrate. Because the code pieces have already been tested, this method gives developers better testing and the ability to address issues.
Other benefits of .NET include the following:
- A wide range of languages can be used within it.
- It incorporates robust security features.
- It has a built-in caching system.
- It can be used by businesses of any size.
- It is supported by Microsoft and a large developer community.
These benefits make .NET very flexible, so it can be used to develop a wide range of applications, from the simple to the complex. It is particularly useful for:
- Enterprise-scale projects such as an ERP application for a manufacturer, a data mining and analysis system for a large financial firm, a climate information gathering platform for a government entity, or a logistics tracking infrastructure for a shipping company
- Projects that require cross-platform compatibility such as an app that electric utility field workers can use to monitor vegetation growth near power equipment
- Projects that must be easily scalable such as a subscription service expected to grow as more customers join
If your planned application fits into one of these categories or if the features mentioned could benefit your project, then it’s time to look for quality .NET development services.
How to Hire a .NET Developer
When you decide it’s time to hire a .NET developer, start by thinking about the problem you need to solve and what you want the result to look like. These plans might change as the project unfolds but having something in mind initially will help you identify which developers are best suited to assist you. When seeking a developer, look for the following characteristics:
Trustworthiness. Does the vendor have a good reputation? You can find out by making sure the company website is authoritative, looking at reviews, and finding out how long the vendor has been in business.
Technical skills. Look for a company whose team members have the training and experience to complete your project. Ask about similar projects they’ve worked on in the past and request contact information for customers willing to provide a testimonial.
Soft skills. The developers working on your project must have skills beyond the technical. Their ability to communicate must be excellent so you can be aware of what’s happening at each stage of your project and easily make changes to the process if needed.
Alignment. Even if you feel developers from a particular provider have the technical and soft skills to meet your requirements, and you feel you can trust the company, there might not be a good fit in terms of language, culture, or working hours. Find a vendor that has the right characteristics in these areas as well.
Support. Make sure the company you choose will provide post-project support, especially if your application is highly complex.
If your company is in the U.S., you have many options for where in the world to find a reputable .NET vendor, including those listed here:
- Within the U.S. Working hours, language, and culture are similar but costs are higher than anywhere else.
- India. Companies here charge much less, but the difference in time zones may be an issue.
- Eastern Europe. Rates here are typically in the mid-range and developers are highly skilled and usually speak very good English. But the time zone difference may be a problem.
- Latin America. Providers in Latin American countries offer many advantages. The developers there are highly educated, speak English very well, and have excellent communication skills. Fees are reasonable and these professionals work during the same hours as those in the U.S. BairesDev is just one example of these companies, with in-depth experience working on projects involving .NET.
From Vision to Solution
Sometimes the leap from good to great depends on choosing the right path. Your company may be ready to take that leap, but you don’t know what the missing piece might be. As you explore various options like changes in leadership or adding or removing programs, be sure to consider the possibility that the right application can change the course of your enterprise.
Given its flexibility and other benefits, .NET is the perfect foundation for many enterprise application projects. If yours involves solutions that must be deployed enterprise-wide, that require cross-platform compatibility, or that must be easily scalable, consider hiring a .NET development services provider to help you turn your application vision into a highly functional software solution that can assist you in meeting your company’s goals.