While technology is already a huge part of our daily lives, it isn’t such a huge part of our cities – not yet, anyway. Sure, some cities like New York, London, or Singapore are really putting their all into the “smart” side of things, but the reality is that most cities are pretty far away from making powerful time and resource investments into smart city technology.
Why? Well, that’s a very complicated topic to discuss, with a lot of political, economic, and social arguments behind it. However, there are a few challenges that most cities around the world share with one another, and perhaps the most common of them is the lack of access to software development talent.
Software Outsourcing & The Worldwide Hunt for Talent
IT Talent is the most valuable and scarce resource in the software development industry. Believe it or not, there are at least 5 companies competing for every developer available. And not only are qualified applicants scarce, but they are also widely spread around the world. The US alone is expected to go through a programming job crisis, in which 1 million IT roles will go unfilled.
This scenario acquires a whole new meaning when we are talking about projects as complex as Smart City technologies. With the level of specialization in this field, both private and public organizations are already having quite a lot of trouble finding the right talent for their project needs. In this context, working with a software outsourcing company becomes the most viable and cost-efficient option to develop high-quality smart city solutions.
Software outsourcing companies provide organizations with technology services and resources they need to achieve their goals. With their help, any organization can immediately get access to top software developers and seamlessly implement their talent into their project, for as long as they are needed. In the case of smart cities, most of the time the arrangement comes to expert IoT developers.
How IoT Developers Fuel Smart Cities
We all know that a smart city is a city powered and connected by technology. This is done with the goal of enhancing the quality of life of its citizens, while also maximizing the operational efficiency of city processes, such as energy management, public transit, sanitation, etc. What most people are unaware of is how this gets done—and that is through the Internet of Things (IoT).
IoT is the most popular technology for smart city development because of the benefit both are designed to achieve: interconnectivity. Cities are massive and complex environments where millions and millions of events take place every minute. By linking a number of devices through a single network, smart cities gain the ability to collect, transmit, and act upon data generated by these events. Without access to this holistic source of data, any smart city technology would just become totally inefficient and inaccurate.
IoT developers fuel smart cities simply because there can’t be a smart city without IoT. The entire infrastructure of a smart city is built upon reactive and monitoring devices that help us tackle the many issues we are facing as a coexistent society. The real challenge lies in finding the right IoT developers at the right time.
Finding the Best IoT Developers for Smart Cities Through Software Outsourcing
Finding the best IoT developers for Smart City projects isn’t an easy task. Luckily, software outsourcing bypasses most (if not all) of the challenges, risks, and time investments of building an expert smart city development team. Here are the key points you need to keep in mind when choosing the right software outsourcing company for you.
- Fluent Communication and Workflow: The only way to work efficiently is by communicating efficiently. Your Software Outsourcing partner should be perfectly fluent in English or the language of your choice. Also, their work process should match your workflow throughout the development cycle.
- Standardized Security Protocols: When it comes to Smart Cities, cybersecurity is the absolute highest priority. Make sure the company of your choice follows the latest security protocols for keeping all data and software products safe.
- Top Talent Software Engineers: Software development outsourcing opens the door to world-class IT talent. It’s their job to gather the best software developers from the region and build the best possible smart city technologies for you.
- Time-Zone Compatibility: Working in similar time zones is certainly a plus when scheduling meetings and managing cooperative workflows between outsourced and in-house teams.
- Quality Experience: References, past clients, and completed projects speak for themselves. All of these will get you some insight into the company’s performance and quality of work for smart city projects.
- Full Range of Services: Software development companies that specialize in a wide range of fields will be able to handle your smart city project from a holistic and highly-experienced approach.
Building Smart Cities Today
While 2020 has brought many challenges upon us, it has certainly made one thing clear: the future can only be driven by technology. We are living at a time where technology is more accessible and cost-efficient than it has ever been—there is absolutely no reason why not to take advantage of it.
Smart cities are no longer a concern of tomorrow. They are exactly what we need today, and it’s only in our hands to accelerate the implementation of smart city technologies.